Don Kidd has extensive civil litigation and court experience since starting to practice law in 1976. He was a lawyer for two years with a large Toronto firm, and then for eight years he was with a Yukon law firm before joining a predecessor firm Valeriote Valeriote in 1988. He has represented clients before courts and boards at all levels in Ontario and the Yukon, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Don Kidd has ,for 41 years, and continues to have as a main focus of his practice, the advising of both employers and employees on a myriad of employment matters including but not limited to termination of employment, preparation and review of employment contracts, termination pay issues, the application of the Employment Standards Act, non competition, non solicitation, human rights issues and health and safety issues and defending prosecutions for infractions. Mr Kidd has successfully handled cases in the highest courts in Ontario and regularly deals with matters involving Toronto and national firms on the other side. Don provides advice and representation of employees or employers in employment law matters.
Don received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto and a Bachelor of Laws degree from Osgoode Hall Law School. He was called to the bar of Ontario in 1976 and of the Yukon Territory in 1978.
Don has occupied a variety of volunteer leadership positions in the legal community with the Ontario Deputy Judges Association, the Attorney General’s Committee on Contingency Fees, the Province’s Rules Committee for Small Claims Court, the Central West Bench and Bar Committee and the Ontario Bar Association.
Don is an active member of the Guelph Kiwanis Club and has been involved with the Elora Music Festival. He and his wife Barb have three adult children. He is an avid reader and movie goer. He stays active by playing a variety of sports including downhill and cross country skiing, golf, sailing and motorcycling. Don enjoys cottaging at Parry Sound.
- CBA Ontario appreciation of services plaque
- Kiwanis President’s outstanding service plaque
- Attorney General’s Committee on Contingency Fees
- Central West Bench and Bar Committee
- Ontario Bar Association chair of Contingency Fee Committee
- Ontario Deputy Judges Association, executive and Past President
- Ontario’s Rules Committee for the Small Claims Court
- Arthur Chamber of Commerce, Active Member
- Elora Music Festival, Past Member
- Kiwanis Club and Kiwanis Music Festival, Active Member
- Employment Insurance Tribunal
- Employment Standards Appeals Tribunal
- Ontario Superior Court
- Ontario Human Rights Tribunal
- Supreme Court of Canada
- Worker’s Safety and Insurance Tribunal
- Yukon Territorial and Superior Courts
- Yukon Workers Compensation and Water Boards