Michael grew up in the City of Vaughan, Ontario. He obtained his Honours Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto, where he specialized in English Literature. He obtained his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Law in 2018.
Michael was active in pro bono work throughout his time at the University of Ottawa. He often represented the interests of low-income persons both in Court and before the City of Ottawa’s City Council.
Michael interned and summered at various law firms and corporations located in the City of Ottawa and the City of Toronto. He completed his articles of clerkship at the Corporation of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. He had the privilege of being the Corporation of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent’s first articling student.
Michael enjoys proving to friends and family that he can bake and garden reasonably well for a lawyer.
- Dean’s Honour List (2017-2018)
- Highest Class Grades in Municipal and Planning Law Courses (2017-2018)
- Samuel James Stubbs Award (2014)
- Beryl Lowry Prize (2014)
- Second Malcolm Wallace Scholarship (2014)
- Deans Honour List (2013-2014)
- Woodhouse Scholarship (2013)
- First Malcolm Wallace Scholarship (2012)
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canada Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Volunteer with Chatham Hope Haven Men’s Shelter
- Past volunteer with St. Joe’s Supper Table Food Bank
- Past volunteer with Pro Bono Students Canada
- Past volunteer with Pro Bono Students Ontario
- Building Code Commission
- Environmental Review Tribunal
- Information and Privacy Commissioner Ontario
- Local Planning Appeal Tribunal
- Ontario Fire Safety Commission
- Ontario Court of the Drainage Referee
- Ontario Court of Justice
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Presented a case update and major paper on the Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways at the Municipal Law Departments Association of Ontario Fall Conference in the City of Windsor in 2018.
- Minimum Maintenance Standards: Case Update and Major Paper (2018).