SV Law has a long and distinguished history of providing Guelph and area residents and businesses with high-quality, personal and professional legal services. Since the mid 1960‘s, the firm has been advising its clients and supporting its community.
Our lawyers are committed to increasing their knowledge by constantly monitoring changes to Canadian law and its practice and providing clients with the most up-to-date information and services available.
We recognize that our most important assets are our employees and offer competitive remuneration, a comprehensive benefit package, contributions towards Group RSP, career growth and development, an active social committee, and a healthy balance between the workplace and your personal life.
Commercial Real Estate Law Clerk
We have an excellent opportunity at our Guelph location on our real estate team. We are looking for a Real Estate Clerk with a minimum of 1-2 years of experience. Your primary responsibility will be to handle all aspects of residential and commercial real estate transactions, which includes preparing legal documents for purchase, sale and mortgage transactions, drafting agreements, ordering title insurance policies, communicating with lawyers, clients, real estate agents, banks and mortgage brokers, and dealing with post closing matters. You will have knowledge in residential and commercial real estate gained through a related post secondary education program (i.e., Legal Administration and/or Law Clerk) or previous work experience. In addition you are extremely organized, you have high attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast paced high volume environment. Experience with MS Office is a must and knowledge of Teraview, Conveyancer, and PC Law will be considered an asset. Please send all cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
SV Law has an exciting opportunity for a Human Resources Manager to support our Guelph and Elora offices. Reporting to the Director of Administration, the HR Manager will be the key HR point of contact responsible for all areas of human resources, including but not limited to recruiting, onboarding, culture, annual performance reviews, payroll, training and career development, benefits, and health and safety.
- Provide guidance and support for the development and implementation of HR programs, policies and procedures in compliance with existing Firm Policies and applicable legislative requirements
- Create and implement staffing strategies to help attract and retain top talent.
- Manage full cycle recruitment services, develop succession plans, and provide internal and external candidates with a positive and professional recruitment experience.
- Provide status reports on open positions; maintain and analyze metrics to identify trends and make recommendations
- Conduct terminations and exit interviews
- Analyze compensation structure annually to ensure industry competitiveness
- Prepare and process bi-monthly payroll of over 100 employees and lawyers.
- Responsible for administration and maintenance of the employee benefit plan, including assistance with the renewal process.
- Recommends, plans and/or implements training and development programs within the firm.
- Participate in the performance reviews and wage and salary administration of employees
- Act as a first point of contact for management and staff on a variety of HR matters and provide follow-up on employee relations issues, conflict resolution, communication, progressive discipline, policy interpretation, performance management, and attendance management
- Contribute to employee engagement initiatives.
- Active member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee and ensures compliance with the regulations
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of Human Resources generalist experience
- College or University Degree
- CHRP or CHRL designation
- Exposure to a professional services environment would be an asset
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to work with deadlines
- Exceptional client service orientation with strong judgement and exceptional time management, organizational, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and focused listening skills
- Strong drive for results, sense of urgency, as well as flexibility
- High level of discretion, diplomacy and a commitment to maintaining the highest level of confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of Ceridian will be preferred
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please send all cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019.
Civil Litigation Clerk / Paralegal
As the successful candidate you will have graduated from a Law Clerk or Paralegal Program with experience in a similar role. The experience must include experience drafting statements of claim, writs, garnishments, and motions; as well experience with preparing general correspondence, and deal with courts in various municipalities and regions. You will have excellent organizational skills, high attention to detail, and the ability to multitask, all of which will assist you in working in this fast-paced environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an asset for dealing effectively with clients and other lawyers and professionals in the interests of our clients. Experience and knowledge with MS Office is a must and strong negotiating skills and experience with PCLaw and Small Claims Court procedures are considered assets. If selected for the position, you will be required to complete a criminal background check. Please send all cover letters and resumes to email@example.com by May 31, 2019.
Corporate Law Clerk
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years experience with knowledge in preparing articles of incorporation, amendment, amalgamation, dissolution and revival, the preparation of resolutions and transactional documentation, registering business names, conducting corporate searches as well as preparing annual resolutions. You will have excellent organizational skills, high attention to detail, and the ability to multitask which will assist you in working in this fast paced environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an asset for dealing effectively with clients and other lawyers and professionals in the interests of our clients. In addition familiarity with FastCompany, PC Law, MS Office and PPSA registrations would be beneficial. Please send all cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019.
Condominium Legal Assistant / Law Clerk
This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate of a Legal Administration program and/or Law Clerk Program or for a junior with 1-2 years’ experience within the area of real estate with a keen interest in Condominium Law. In this role you will be supporting both Lawyers and clerks/assistants in the Condominium Practice Group. Your responsibilities will primarily be to provide administrative support which may include: file opening, filing, formatting of documents, delivery of correspondence, preparation of pre-bills, keeping track of deadlines, and various other administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, high attention to detail, and the ability to multitask. Additionally, strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential for dealing effectively with clients, other lawyers, and professionals in this high-volume environment.
Experience with MS Office, specifically Outlook and Word is a must and preference will be given to those with knowledge, in the applications of Teraview, Conveyancer and PCLaw.
This is an entry level position with the potential for tremendous growth.
Please send all cover letters and resumes to email@example.com by May 31, 2019.
Law Clerk/Legal Assistant – Municipal Law
This is an excellent opportunity for the ideal candidate with 1-2 years experience and has completed a Law Clerk or Legal Assistant program. The successful candidate is extremely organized, enjoys working in a busy environment, can multitask, and has high attention to detail. Supporting one lawyer within our Municipal Practice Group the primary responsibilities involve: drafting of documents, registration of legal documents within Teraview, file organization, monitoring ongoing files, and following up on deadlines and tasks. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an asset for dealing effectively with our clients and other lawyers and professionals. As well, strong knowledge of Teraview, Microsoft Word, Outlook and PC Law are considered assets. Please send all cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019.
We are currently accepting resumes from candidates who are interested in joining our expanding team. Our Firm offers services in Family Law, Business/Corporate Law, Condominium Law, Civil Litigation, Wills and Estates, Municipal, Real Estate Law, and Criminal Law. If you have 3-5 years of experience working as a law clerk or legal assistant in any of these areas and you are looking for a career that is closer to home, challenging and rewarding, please apply, in confidence, and send your resume to email@example.com.
We offer competitive wages and benefits, group RSP contributions, free parking, social events, and continued education and learning opportunities.
SV Law offers a competitive comprehensive compensation package including benefits and an active social committee.
Interested applicants should submit their comprehensive resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.