Mark has been with SV Law since 1993 and is the firm’s current Managing Partner. He obtained a Bachelor of Mathematics degree (Combinatorics and Optimization Option) with a minor in Business Administration from the University of Waterloo in 1990. He then obtained his LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario in 1993 and was called to the Bar in Ontario in 1995 where he received the Pensa & Associates prize for the student attaining the highest grades at the Bar Admission Course at London.
Mark practices primarily in the field of estate litigation. He also handles other civil litigation matters including corporate / commercial litigation and employment law.
Mark has argued matters before the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Ontario Divisional Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Justice (Family Division) and the Tax Court of Canada. He was counsel for one of the Respondents in Ferrier v. Civiero (2001) 42 R.P.R. (3d) 12, 2001 CarswellOnt 1717, 147 O.A.C. 196,  O.J. No. 1883 (Ont. C.A.) wherein the Court of Appeal determined that an execution creditor could not compel the partition and sale of lands only partially owned by the debtor. He was also counsel for the successful party in Amherst Crane v. Perring  O.J. No. 2792 (Ont. S.C.J.), affirmed at (2004) 241 D.L.R. (4th) 176, 187 O.A.C. 336,  O.J. No. 2558 (Ont. C.A.), leave to appeal denied at 2005 CarswellOnt 354,  S.C.C.A. 430 (S.C.C.) where the Court of Appeal overturned previous caselaw and decided that monies in a non-insurance RRSP devolve directly to the named beneficiary on the death of the planholder, do not form part of the estate of the deceased and are not available to creditors.
Mark is a Past President (former Secretary, former Treasurer, former Library Chair) and former member of the Board of Directors of the Wellington Law Association. He was formerly on the Board of Directors and served as Treasurer of the Edward Johnson Music Foundation
During his spare time Mark enjoys spending time with his family and traveling to concerts to see Bruce Springsteen, Melissa Etheridge, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Dead & Company, Steve Earle, and other performers.
- Pensa & Associates prize for the student attaining the highest grades at the Bar Admission Course at London, 1995
- Wellington Law Association, Board of Directors
- Wellington Law Association, Former Library Chair
- Wellington Law Association, Former Treasurer
- Wellington Law Association, Former Vice President
- Wellington Law Association, Former Secretary
- Wellington Law Association, President, 2010 - 2012
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Edward Johnson Music Foundation, Treasurer
- Ontario Court of Appeal
- Ontario Court of Justice (Family Division)
- Ontario Divisional Court
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Tax Court of Canada