Robert Mullin is a knowledge leader in Ontario condominium law, writing and speaking frequently on the subject. He regularly works with developers, property management firms and condominium boards across Ontario.
Robert routinely advises condominium corporations on the creation of standard unit by-laws and indemnity agreements, the adoption of declaratory, by-law, rule amendments, enforcement procedures including liens, powers of sale, mediations & arbitration, and compliance orders. He also actively assists condominium developers in the formation of new condominiums, including agreements of purchase and sale, new declarations, by-laws, rules, management agreements, and disclosure statements.
Robert is currently authoring a text book entitled ‘Condominium Law’ to be forthcoming December of 2022.
Robert is also an instructor at Conestoga College, teaching Condominium Law to future property managers.
Robert is a member of the Canadian Condominium Institute. In 2009, he was elected President of the Golden Horseshoe Chapter and is now a Past-President. Robert is proud to serve as a founding director of CCI’s new Grand River Chapter. Robert is also a member of the Toronto, London, and Huronia Ontario Chapters. He is also a member of the Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario (A.C.M.O.). Robert holds an Associate of the Canadian Condominium Institute (A.C.C.I.) designation, earned after demonstrating a high degree of condominium legal knowledge and experience.
Robert is active in the field of municipal law and land use development. Robert is principal counsel to the Township of Centre Wellington and to the Township of Woolwich. Robert also appears regularly before the Ontario Municipal Board. Robert has expertise in dealing with the OMB, representing both municipal and private section clients.
Robert has been noted in a number of municipal law cases, including:
- Loblaw Properties Limited v. Township of Centre Wellington,  Decision/Order
No. 3212, PL050478;
- Dobson Holdings Palmerston Ltd. v. Minto (Township),  PL070527;
- Chuchman v. Township of Centre Wellington,  PL100034;
- Marion Steele, Trustees Dublin Street United Church v. City of Guelph,  PL080038;
- Rowan v. County of Wellington,  PL090413;
- Whiteley v. City of Guelph,  PL100843;
- Activa Holdings Inc. Re,  Carswell ONT 1310; and,
- Reid Homes v. Guelph (City) 2017 Carswell 10307.
Mr. Mullin in 2014 was referred to by the Ontario Municipal Board as ‘Highly Persuasive’ in the case of Activa Holdings Inc. Re,  Carswell ONT 1310.
Robert’s education is also a unique resource, which assists clients in avoiding municipal liability and advising on land use planning controls and conditions. Robert provides ongoing Planning Act advice to municipalities on site plans, minor variances, legal-non-conforming use, plans of condominium and subdivisions.
Robert completed a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Political Studies from the University of Guelph in 1995, pursued graduate studies at the University of Western Ontario, and received his LL.B. from the University of Windsor in 2002. After articling with a prominent Toronto firm, he returned to Guelph upon his call to the bar in 2003.
Robert has since completed a Masters of Law (LL.M.) from Osgoode Hall Law School, specializing in Municipal Law.
An active community volunteer, Robert is Past-President of the Guelph Provincial P.C. Party Riding Association, and served as Southwestern Ontario Leadership Campaign Co-ordinator for the Honourable Ernie Eves and the Honourable Tim Hudak. He is also a former member of the Rotary Club of Guelph.
- Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario (A.C.M.O.), Member
- Canadian Condominium Institute – Golden Horseshoe Chapter, President
- Canadian Condominium Institute – Huronia Chapter, Member
- Canadian Condominium Institute – London Chapter, Member
- Canadian Condominium Institute – Northwestern Ontario Chapter, Member
- Canadian Condominium Institute – Toronto Chapter, Member
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Guelph Provincial P.C. Party Riding Association, Past President
- Rotary Club of Guelph, Member
- Southwestern Ontario Leadership – Honourable Ernie Eves, Campaign Co-Ordinator
- Southwestern Ontario Leadership – Honourable Tim Hudak, Campaign Co-Ordinator
WHAT CONDOMINIUMS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYING A SUPERINTENDENT: TERMINATIONS (PART 4 OF 4)
Mar 13, 2023
WHAT CONDOMINIUMS NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYING A SUPERINTENDENT: EMPLOYMENT CONTRACTS (PART 3 OF 4)
Feb 28, 2023
WHAT CONDOMINIUMS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYING A SUPERINTENDENT: SPECIAL RULES FOR LIVE-IN SUPERINTENDENTS (PART 2 OF 4)
Feb 09, 2023
WHAT CONDOMINIUMS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYING A SUPERINTENDENT: WHERE TO START? (PART 1 OF 4)
Jan 30, 2023
CAT By the Numbers: Looking at Recent Trends in CAT Decisions
Oct 19, 2022
The Scope of the CAT’s Records Jurisdiction: Draft AGM Minutes & Audio Recordings
Aug 29, 2022
Decisions from the CAT – Cats vs Dogs – A History of Non-Enforcement
Jul 11, 2022
Decisions from the CAT: Human Rights & Pet Prohibitions
Apr 06, 2022
The Divisional Court Clarifies the CAT’s Costs Jurisdiction
Mar 14, 2022
The “Fiasco” Has Gone on Long Enough: Mandatory Mediation/Arbitration
Mar 01, 2022
More Blog Posts